Sunday, March 11, 2007

Spread Thin

When I took my pregnancy test the other night, I was so cocky that it was going to be negative. I was just in denial. I knew deep down it was a strong possibility because I know my body. It's like somebody stuck a cork up in there. I keep waiting to start my period and...NOTHING. After taking the test, within minutes I had on my pajamas and was hiding under the covers. My husband came to find me and I was shedding a few overwhelmed tears. I am just afraid I will not be able to get everything done to keep house and also have time to breastfeed and play with my other children.

It's like when you get out the peanut butter jar and there's only like a teaspoon left in there. You've already got a nice slice of bread ready for it, and you discover there's not enough peanut butter to cover the bread with the thickness you desire. So you spread what you've got. Even though it's not ideal, it still tastes good. I guess that's how I feel. I may be spread thin, but I'm confident I can still taste good in the end.

So, lying there in tears, I made my husband sign some written contracts. It's really hillarious what you will do in your horomone raged state. It's only the beginning. When you are pregnant, it really feels as if an alien has taken over your body. At this stage my baby is no bigger than a grain of rice but already it seems as if she (I'm hoping) is a raging lion whom I throw food at and she laughs as if to say, "Do you think that will even make a dent?" Let's hope she likes bread with a small amount of peanut butter, 'cause that's pretty much all I've got.

No comments: