Monday, March 12, 2007

Giraffes and Squirrels

I can only take things one day at a time. So today I am about 43 days pregnant. Based on my other pregnancies, I carry my babies about 282 days. So I have about 239 to go. Good thing I'm not a squirrel, because I'd be giving birth any day now. Maybe you know that elephants are pregnant more than twice as long as humans but the animal I am fascinated with is the giraffe.

Giraffes carry their babies for about 425 days, then proceed to give birth standing up, the baby coming out rear hooves first, then the rear hips with the head resting upon them. WHAT? And I don't know about you, but I enjoy the fact that my baby can't go anywhere for at least 6 or 7 months after birth. The giraffe baby drops five feet and stands up. Could you imagine giving birth and then having your baby running around the delivery room, exploring, eating important hospital documents, and then playing in the toilet? No thanks. My two hundred eighty something days until a swaddled bundle of wonderful comes to lay on my chest is just right for me.

No comments: