Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Waiting Room

Well, I went to my first doctor's visit a couple of weeks ago. This being my fourth pregnancy, there wasn't much new under the sun. What I feel the need to write about are the women you see in the waiting room. I am part of a large practice so there are always plenty of women in and out. They range in size, shape, and emotions. I felt compassion for the woman who was so full term she was barely able to get up out of her chair. And of course you feel excitement for the woman clearly at her first visit ever. Still in regular clothes, just getting used to the idea of being pregnant.

The women I want to comment on are the ones you try your best not to hate and give dirty looks to. These are the ones who are tan, wear short shorts and tight shirts, and have perfect hair, make-up, and pedicures. There were two of them sitting rather close to me and it was hard for me not to stare. Who are these women? I want to know where they come from and how they can maintain such an appearance in the state of swollen, nausea, and exhaustion that I still find myself feeling. And they look this way in the doctor's office no less. I can understand if you're out to eat or on a date with your husband. Luckily I did not have any of my children with me that day, or I probably would have felt ugly and strung out.

I can look good. It's just not a huge priority for me to doll up for a doctor's appointment. But when you're sitting there in your baggy khaki's, unflattering tank top, and three year old "mommy" sneakers, it makes you wish maybe your nurse was Barbara Walters or something and the normal questions were a television interview. Then maybe I'd at least wear a little more lipstick.

1 comment:

MollyH said...

You don't know me, Im pregnant with my 4th also. Just wanted to thank you for the laughs! I enjoyed reading a bit of your blog.